CTV News Calgary Latest Videos
Blowing snow warning issued for sections of central and southern Alberta
Environment Canada has issued a blowing snow warning for section of central and southeast Alberta (Map courtesy: Environment Canada)
Published Saturday, February 16, 2013 4:58PM MST
Last Updated Saturday, February 16, 2013 5:11PM MST
Environment Canada is anticipating widespread blowing snow in sections of Alberta.
An Arctic cold front will sweep through Alberta overnight. This front will generate locally heavy snow flurries with some areas near the Saskatchewan border seeing close to 10 cm by Sunday evening.
However the main concern with this front will be the gusty northwesterly winds behind it. These winds will gust to 60 or 70 km/h and, combined with the fresh snowfall, will give widespread blowing snow. In some areas local visibilities will be near zero.
The blowing snow will begin in Central Alberta early Sunday morning and spread into the southeast by noon.
The warning has been issued for the following areas:
- Airdrie - Cochrane - Olds - Sundre
- Drumheller - Three Hills
- Red Deer - Ponoka - Innisfail - Stettler
- Drayton Valley - Devon - Rimbey - Pigeon Lake
- Brooks - Strathmore - Vulcan
- Cypress Hills Provincial Park - Foremost
- Medicine Hat - Bow Island - Suffield
- Hanna - Coronation - Oyen
- Lloydminster - Wainwright - Vermilion - Provost
For updated information on the blowing snow warning visit Environment Canada's Public Weather Warnings for Alberta
With files from Environment Canada