CTV News Calgary Latest Videos
Calgary Expo to be a Star(Trek)-studded affair
Calgary Stampede Parade Marshal William Shatner speaks to the media about the upcoming event at a news conference in Calgary, Thursday, July 3, 2014. (Jeff McIntosh / THE CANADIAN PRESS)
Published Tuesday, January 26, 2016 11:57AM MST
Last Updated Monday, May 9, 2016 9:15AM MDT
2016's Calgary Expo will be featuring some big names in the science fiction and fantasy genre, and few are bigger than Canadian screen legend William Shatner.
Shatner, who played the iconic Captain James T. Kirk throughout the series, will be joined the stage with five other actors, past and present, associated with the Star Trek franchise, including:
- Karl Urban, who played Leonard 'Bones' McCoy in the J.J. Abrams' series of movies
- Robert Duncan McNeill, who played Lieutenant Tom Paris in Star Trek: Voyager
- Garrett Wang, who played Ensign Harry Kim in Star Trek: Voyager
- Michelle Forbes, who played Ensign Ro Laren in Star Trek: The Next Generation
- Connor Trinneer, who played Commander Charles 'Trip' Tucker in Star Trek: Enterprise
The Star Trek series will be celebrating its 50th Anniversary this year, and organizers of the Calgary Expo say this event is the best way to commemorate it.
“This group includes some fan favourites, and of course, the Captain himself. Star Trek is truly a cultural phenomenon and this is our way to celebrate the 50th Anniversary at Calgary Expo,” said spokesperson Emily Expo in a release.
Expo says that it will always have a special place for the Star Trek franchise, hosting the reunited cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation in 2012 and helping Leonard Nimoy, the original Spock, visit Vulcan, AB, in 2010.
The Calgary Expo runs from April 28 to May 1, 2016. For more information, you can visit their website.