Car seat report released
Published Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:09PM MDT
A research report on toxic chemicals in children's car seats was released by the Ecology Center on Wednesday and found over half contained toxic chemicals.
Over 150, 2011 model car seats were tested for bromine, chlorine, lead, and other heavy metals and allergens.
While some seats were found to be virtually free of the most dangerous chemicals, over 60 percent contained at least one of the chemicals tested for.
The substances have been linked to allergies, birth defects, impaired learning, liver toxicity, and cancer in children.
The reports says that babies are the most vulnerable because their bodies are still developing and they spend a lot of time in their car seats.
Most Toxic 2011 Car Seats:
- Infant Seat: Graco Snugride 35 in Edgemont Red/Black & Graco SnugRide 30 in Asprey
- Convertible Seat: Britax Marathon 70 in Jet Set & Britax Marathon in Platinum
- Booster Seat: Recaro Pro Booster in Blue Opal & Recaro ProSPORT Toddler in Mist
Least Toxic 2011 Car Seats:
- Infant Seat: Chicco KeyFit 30 in Limonata, Graco Snugride 35 in Laguna Bay & Combi Shuttle 33 in Cranberry Noche
- Convertible Carseat: Graco Comfort Sport in Caleo, Graco MyRide 65 in Chandler and Streamer, Safety 1st OnSide Air in Clearwater, and Graco Nautilus Elite 3-in-1 in Gabe
- Booster Seat: Graco Turbo Booster in Anders
For more information, visit the Healthy Stuff website.