Carbon Monoxide cause of death in Varsity tragedy
Published Friday, October 12, 2012 6:33AM MDT
Last Updated Friday, October 12, 2012 6:31PM MDT
The Calgary Medical Examiner has completed the autopsies on a mother and son who were found dead in a northwest townhouse on Thursday night.
Police were called to a unit at McLaurin Village, in the 3500 block of Varsity Dr. N.W., at about 9:45 p.m. after the father came home and found his wife and son dead.
Investigators detected a high level of carbon monoxide in the home and called in the fire department to ventilate the structure.
The victims has been identified as Yu-Mei Lai, 39, and her six-year-old son Kevin.
The ME says the cause of death in both cases is carbon monoxide poisoning and that the pair died sometime on Thursday.
Police have deemed the boy's death a homicide and the woman's death a suicide.
They are not releasing further details out of respect for the family.
Neighbours are shocked by the news.
"The little boy was especially happy. He was always jumping around, he was always playing. He always said hi to me first before I could even say hi to him. After we found out he had passed, then it became really tragic," said neighbour Matthew Rakach.
Rakach said that he didn't speak much with the mother or the boy because there was a bit of language barrier, but he saw them nearly every day as he went out to work in the morning.
Kevin Liu is the city's 13th homicide of 2012.
The CPS Victim Assistance Support Team is helping friends and family cope witht the tragedy.
Anyone who has been impacted by the deaths can call the Victim Assistance Support team for help if they need it at 403-428-8398.