Five kids injured in crash released from hospital
Published Tuesday, October 29, 2013 11:40AM MDT
Last Updated Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:20PM MDT
Five of the six children who were rushed to hospital after their school bus was involved in a crash with a work truck have been released from care.
The driver of the bus, who was also seriously injured in the crash, has also been released from hospital.
The remaining child, a five-year-old boy, remains at the Alberta Children’s Hospital, heavily sedated.
Nathan Anderson, the mayor of Crossfield, visited the victim in the hospital last week and says that despite his condition, his vitals are remaining strong.
“I am very concerned. Our prayers go out to those kids and families,” Anderson said. “We just hope, God willing, they are all OK and will pull out of this without any lasting effects.”
Anderson said that the boy is not in a coma and is showing improvement every day.
On Friday morning, the bus was hit by a three tonne truck while it was making a left-hand turn at a stop sign at Highway 791 and Township Road 290.
The front end of the bus was crushed and the work truck was also heavily damaged, ending up in the ditch at the west side of the intersection.
The driver of the truck received minor injuries.
Police are continuing to investigate the crash.
(With files from the Canadian Press)