Four homes destroyed by fire in northwest Calgary
Published Tuesday, March 8, 2016 5:01AM MST
Last Updated Wednesday, March 9, 2016 7:03PM MST
Fire crews were called to the scene of a blaze in the northwest Calgary community of Kincora early Tuesday morning and officials say four homes have been destroyed.
At just after 1:00 a.m., firefighters were dispatched to a blaze in the 300 block of Kincora Drive N.W.
When they got there, they found two homes fully engulfed in flames and quickly called in a second alarm.
They began to work on putting out the fire, but the flames were whipped up by the high winds in the area and spread to a third and fourth home.
"They went defensive, which means they were unable to go inside and do an interior search," said CFD Public Information Officer Carol Henke. "We do have confirmation that everyone made it out of the home safely and that really is the key."
The fire was brought under control a few hours later, but all four of the affected homes were destroyed.
People in ten other homes were evacuated as a precaution and some of the residences reportedly suffering minor damages.
ENMAX and ATCO Gas crews were called to the scene to shut off utilities.
Crews say that no one was injured as a result of the fire and that all the occupants are accounted for.
The affected homeowners were sheltered in transit buses at the scene while crews worked to douse the flames and monitor for hot spots.
Fire officials say crews were fortunate that they didn't have further issues.
"With all the strong winds encounters last night, it's really a wonder that none of the dry grass ignited due to all the embers flying around. It's a reminder that things are very dry and, when the wind is strong, things can move very quickly," said Henke. "Fire doubles in size approximately every thirty seconds and once it's got ahold of one room in the home, it moves very very quickly. As you can see, the homes are fairly close and, with the wind and that radiant heat, it takes no time at all for that to spread quickly."
A woman, who is related to one of the affected residents, Mark Zabat, says he is handling the situation well so far, but the shock hasn't set in yet.
"My brother was in the house when the fire started. We did stay there for two years when we first came to Canada. When we were getting adjusted, he took us in."
There is no word on the cause of the blaze and no details on the cost of damages, but all four homes will likely be written off.