Great recipes for Apple Month
Published Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:08AM MST
Last Updated Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:14AM MST
Apple Vegetable Soup with Rosemary
This delicious recipe is completely gluten free!
- 2 peeled and grated BC Tree Fruits apples (Golden Delicious, Royal Gala, Fuji or Spartan)
- 1 small yellow or white onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery heart, including leaves
- ¼ cup salted butter or olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup strained tomatoes, pomodoro style
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth (gluten free if necessary)
- ½ cup whipping cream (optional)
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1. Process onion, apple, carrot, and celery to a puree in food processor.
2. Melt the butter or heat the oil in a sauce pan, adding salt to taste.
3. Adjust heat to low, cover, and sweat the mixture for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the minced garlic and cloves, heat thru.
5. Add broth and tomato sauce.
6. Simmer 15-20 minutes.
7. Puree further with an immersion blender or regular blender, adding hot water to thin if necessary. (For extra richness, stir in whipping cream.)
8. Garnish with chopped rosemary.
Apple and Sweet Potato Pot Pies
Into the oven in record time!
- 2 large BC Tree Fruits apples, skin on (Granny Smith, Ambrosia or Royal Gala)
- 1 medium yam or sweet potato
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- ½ tsp dried sage leaves
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 sliced green onions, whites and greens
- ¾ cup chicken or vegetable broth (gluten free if required)
- 1 beaten egg, for topping
- Square of frozen puff pastry, tube of refrigerator crescent rolls or any biscuit dough
1. Peel yams, core apples, and cut both into ½ inch cubes.
2. Toss with corn starch, spices, and melted butter.
3. Add sliced green onions and broth.
4. Pour into a sprayed casserole dish, top with sliced apples or pastry, and brush with egg wash.
For a gluten free topping, slice the third apple as thinly as possible and layer onto the pie.
For a quick traditional crust, top with choice of biscuit dough
Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 for 20 more minutes or until topping is golden.