Hopley ordered to undergo assessment
Published Thursday, August 9, 2012 11:56AM MDT
Last Updated Thursday, August 9, 2012 7:16PM MDT
A judge in Cranbrook has ordered a dangerous offender assessment for a man who abducted a young boy last year in Sparwood B.C.
Randall Hopley pleaded guilty to kidnapping three-year-old Kienan Hebert from this home in September 2011.
The case prompted an Amber Alert and a massive manhunt in Alberta and B.C.
Hopley held the boy in a cabin for four days and then returned him home unharmed.
He pleaded guilty to abduction of a person under 14 and break and enter but not guilty to kidnapping.
Supreme Court Justice Heather Holmes ordered the assessment saying Hopley succeeded in making the bogeyman real to many people and there's nothing more frightening to parents than the possibility of losing a child.
She also says Hopley's conviction for abducting Kienan Heibert may not have qualified as having caused actual psychological or physical harm to the boy, but it likely would have in any other case.
Holmes says Hopley was extremely lucky when he decided to abduct Kienan last September because the boy's family didn't even file a victim impact statement.
A dangerous offender and sentencing hearing will be held at a later date.