CrockPot Tamale Pie
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ of a medium onion, chopped
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of niblet corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 28 oz can of stewed tomatoes
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¾ cup buttermilk or sour milk
- ¾ shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1. Brown hamburger meat and onions in a large skillet over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Drain and add burger mixture to slow cooker.
2. Add beans, corn, tomatoes and spices to slow cooker and stir. (I used my spoon to chop the tomato pieces up a bit.)
3. Cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
4. One hour before you would like to eat, mix up ingredients for cornbread crust (including half the shredded cheese).
5. Turn slow cooker to high and pour cornbread batter over the top of the tamale filling mixture. Sprinkle remaining cheese on the top of the batter.
6. Cook for one hour or until toothpick pushed in to the cornbread crust comes out clean.
Super Peachy Smoothie
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) peaches
- ½ cup (125 mL) almond milk, or any other milk of your choice
- 1 cup (250 mL) ice cubes
- 1 banana, sliced
- ½ tsp (2 mL) vanilla
- Nutmeg for sprinkling on top (optional)
To prepare smoothie, combine all ingredients except nutmeg. Blend until desired consistency is reached. To adjust consistency, add more peaches to thicken or more milk to thin out, then blend for a few seconds more.
Pour into serving glasses and sprinkle nutmeg on top, then serve immediately.
Makes about 3 cups (750 mL)
Peach & Maple Rice Pudding
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch
- 3 cups (750 mL) milk, 2% or homogenized
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) sliced peaches
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) pure maple syrup
- 2 wide strips of peel from 1 orange
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) maple extract or 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
In a large saucepan, bring 1 cup (250 mL) water and salt to a boil. Add rice, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until rice has absorbed all the water, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a bowl, stir brown sugar with cornstarch. Whisk in 1 cup (250 mL) milk and set aside. Drain peaches, reserving juice. Once rice has absorbed water, stir in remaining 2 cups (500 mL) milk, peach juice, maple syrup, orange peel, ginger and cinnamon. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer gently uncovered, stirring occasionally until thickened, about 25 minutes.
Whisk cornstarch mixture, then whisk in egg yolk. Stir into thickened rice and bring to a boil, stirring constantly for one minute. Discard peel and cinnamon stick. Stir in peaches and maple or vanilla extract. Turn into a serving bowl or individual cups (mixture thickens upon cooling).
Serve warm, sprinkled with cinnamon if you wish.
Serves 6 to 8.