Preparing and practicing fire escape plans
Published Monday, February 11, 2013 4:16PM MST
Last Updated Monday, February 11, 2013 6:34PM MST
Several house fires over the past week have many people reviewing their fire escape plans with their families.
Fire officials say it doesn’t take long for a fire to become deadly and that’s exactly what happened in Varsity last week after an early morning blaze claimed the life of a Calgary wife and mother.
Another fire on Monday morning left a Falconridge couple and their five children homeless after their rental home was completely destroyed.
Officials say it is crucial to have a well thought out fire plan and to prepare and practice just in case a fire breaks out in your home.
Fire plan tips:
- Develop an escape plan that includes two exits out of each room
- Keep exits free of toys, furniture and clutter
- Assign a family member to assist other children or family members with limited mobility
- Practice the escape plan at least twice per year
- Pick a safe place to meet outside
- Make sure all family members know the fire department’s emergency number
- Make sure your house number is clearly visible so crews can find your house
- Make sure smoke alarms are working and placed on every level of the home
- Replace fire alarms that are over ten years old
Reducing home hazards:
- Make sure cooking areas are free of flammable materials
- Keep space heaters away from combustible materials
- Regular inspections of chimneys, fireplaces and wood stoves
- Candles in candle holders and make sure they are out at the end of the night or before you leave your home
- Keep matches and lighters away from children
- Make sure electrical cords are in good condition, no frays or breaks
- Keep flammable materials in safe containers in a ventilated area
- Properly extinguish and dispose of smoking materials
- Make sure appliance vents are not blocked
For additional information on developing a home escape plan, visit the City of Calgary website.
Click here for a Home Fire Safety Checklist that you can use at home.