Rooming house owners charged over safety violations in fatal fire
A man died in a fire at the home in the 300 block of 25 Ave. S.W. on Sept 12, 2012.
Published Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:37AM MDT
Last Updated Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:56PM MDT
The two owners of a boarding house in the 300 block of 25 Ave. S.W. face 12 counts each under the Safety Codes Act following an investigation into a September 12, 2012 fire that claimed the life of one man.
57-year-old Daniel McWha was found unconcious inside the home and transported to hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.
The Calgary Fire Department has charged Anoop Bungay and Deepti Bungay with violations of the Fire Code including:
- Failing to provide fire extinguishers
- Failing to post floor plans showing exits
- Failing to provide an interconnected smoke alarm system
The maximum penalty for each charge, as a first offence, is $15,000 and six months in prison.
The owners are scheduled to appear in Provincial Criminal Court in January.