Stampede Parade kicks off Centennial edition of Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth
Published Friday, July 6, 2012 11:58AM MDT
Last Updated Friday, July 6, 2012 6:42PM MDT
Smiling faces crowded the parade route as the annual Stampede Parade made its way through downtown Calgary on Friday morning.
An estimated 350,000 people crowded the temporary bleachers, the sidewalks and the plus 15 walkways in the hopes of getting a glimpse of the parade’s floats, horses and marching bands.
The Calgary Stampede Parade committee has announced the 2012 Centennial Parade award winners.
- Best Prelude: Chinook Country Line Dancer
- Best Overall: Ismaili Muslim Community
- Most Creative: Royal Tyrell Museum
- Best Western Theme: Ismaili Muslim Community
- Best Corporate: Cenovus Energy
- Best Business or Non-Profit: Royal Tyrell Museum
- Best Cultural: Best of Mexico – Canada Mexico Chamber of Business
- Best Municipal: Town of High River
- Best Horse Entry: Gull Lake Farms
The 2012 Calgary Stampede Parade stretched for nearly four kilometers.