Two men face human trafficking charges
Published Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:54AM MST
Last Updated Tuesday, February 5, 2013 6:13PM MST
Police have arrested two Calgary men and charged them with several criminal charges in relation to prostitution and human trafficking.
Police say two females, under 18, met two males who attempted to procure them into prostitution in late 2012.
One of the victims was allegedly coerced into providing sexual services to sex trade customers over a period of several days. She was eventually able to flee to safety.
Police say one of the victims came to them as a result of an investigation into the allegations in December, 2012.
Arjanit Nick (Sammy) Simnica, 29, and Avni (Antonio) Gashi, 22, both of Calgary are charged with:
- 2 counts of procure a person to become a prostitute
- Live on the avails of a prostitute under the age of 18
- Trafficking in persons
- Receive material benefit from trafficking in persons
- 2 counts of forcible confinement
- Assault/common assault
- Possession of locally stolen property over $5,000
Simnica and Gashi are in custody and will make their next court appearance on Friday, February 8, 2013.