Anti-mandate group gathers outside MP Chahal's Calgary home

Calgary-Skyview MP George Chahal is the latest Calgary politician to have anti-mandate demonstrators gather outside their home.
Protesters chanted while holding signs condemning vaccine mandates, COVID-19 passports and public-safety restrictions during Sunday's rally.
Chahal took to social media Monday morning to condemn the rally participants.
Speaking to CTV News Calgary on Monday afternoon, Chahal said he and his family were celebrating his wife's birthday when the protest happened. She and their three daughters had just returned from a walk through the neighbourhood with the family's dog.
"They could have encountered or walked right into that. As a father, I'm concerned about my kids and my wife going out in public and having to deal with that in our neighbourhood. They shouldn't have to. They should feel safe being able to go and come home."
Chahal said there are public places where protest is allowed, but "my home is not the place."
"Or anybody's home," he said. "It's private property where I live and I'm concerned about the health and wellness of my family."
Chahal added someone went through his recycling bin and stickers and notes were left on a light post and the sidewalk in front of his home.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau spoke about the incident on social media Monday.
"This kind of intimidation – against any politician or public servant – is completely unacceptable and inexcusable, and it’s not how disagreements should be voiced in our democracy," he wrote on Twitter. "I’m thinking of you and your family, George. Please stay safe."
The group previously congregated outside the homes of Alberta Health Minister Jason Copping, Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek and Ward 9 Coun. Gian-Carlo Carra.
Following the protests outside Gondek and Carra's residences, Calgary city council approved the reimbursement of up to $8,000 for any councillor who has a security system installed at their home.
Police officials say the protests have been peaceful and no arrests have been made at any of the demonstrations.
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
Online diary: Buffalo gunman plotted attack for months
The white gunman accused of massacring 10 Black people at a Buffalo supermarket wrote as far back as November about staging a livestreamed attack on African Americans.

Conservative leadership candidate Pierre Poilievre denounces 'white replacement theory'
Pierre Poilievre is denouncing the 'white replacement theory' believed to be a motive for a mass shooting in Buffalo, N.Y., as 'ugly and disgusting hate-mongering.'
Ontario driver who killed woman and three daughters sentenced to 17 years in prison
A driver who struck and killed a woman and her three young daughters nearly two years ago 'gambled with other people's lives' when he took the wheel, an Ontario judge said Monday in sentencing him to 17 years behind bars.
What we know so far about the victims of the Buffalo mass shooting
A former police officer, the 86-year-old mother of Buffalo's former fire commissioner, and a grandmother who fed the needy for decades were among those killed in a racist attack by a gunman on Saturday in a Buffalo grocery store. Three people were also wounded.
Ontario party leaders face off during 2022 election debate
The leaders of Ontario's four major political parties took the stage for a live televised debate in Toronto on Monday night.
Documents show a pattern of human rights abuses against gender diverse prisoners
Facing daily instances of violence and abuse, gender diverse people in the Canadian prison system say they are forced to take measures into their own hands to secure their safety.
White 'replacement theory' fuels racist attacks
A racist ideology seeping from the internet's fringes into the mainstream is being investigated as a motivating factor in the supermarket shooting that killed 10 people in Buffalo, New York. Most of the victims were Black.
Amber Heard says she feared she would not survive Johnny Depp marriage
'Aquaman' actor Amber Heard told jurors in a defamation case on Monday that she filed for divorce from Johnny Depp in 2016 because she worried she would not survive physical abuse by him.
Kenney visits Washington, pushing stronger energy ties between Alberta and U.S.
Alberta Premier Jason Kenney begins his two-day blitz in Washington today, hoping to convince U.S. lawmakers his province is best positioned to strengthen North American energy security.