Approximately 400 residents of a southwest apartment building were evacuated from their homes after carbon monoxide was found leaking into the complex.

Fire crews got the initial call around 4:30 a.m. on Wednesday to attend to the 17-storey building, The Marquis, at 1108 6 Ave. S.W.

Calgary Transit buses were called to the scene to help keep the evacuated residents warm in the minus 30 degree weather while crews ventilated the building.

According to investigators, the frozen Bow River had flooded the parking garage in the building.  Pumps were brought in to remove the excess water.

The dangerous exhaust from the pumps triggered the building's carbon monoxide detection system.

It is unclear as to when the building's evacuation order will be lifted and residents are allowed to return to their homes.