Fire officials worried about gas leaks
For the second time, in as many days, fire crews have been called to a gas line puncture.
The latest one happened on Thursday at 9:30 a.m. at 2404 16 Street S.W.
As soon as the leak happened a two-block radius was evacuated as a precaution. About 870 buildings in the area are without gas service.
"I heard the alarm bells ring and I rushed to put my clothes on and hurried to the lobby and there were firemen all over the place and they told me to just get out of there," says Sultan Tejani who lives in the area.
It took crews about an hour to shut the leak down and repairs are currently being done to the line.
By 11:30 a.m., everyone in the area was allowed back into the evacuated buildings.
On Wednesday, hundreds of people living in northeast Calgary had to be evacuated from their homes after a major gas leak.
A gas line was punctured at around 4:30 p.m. in the community of Saddle Ridge. A backhoe operator accidentally damaged a six inch gas line at 88 Avenue and Saddleland Drive N.E.
A total of 253 homes were evacuated and gas service was cut to 120 residences.
Fire officials say they are very concerned about two gas leaks in two days and will be meeting with ATCO to discuss the issue.