Fire prompts evacuation of two people and a fish from McKenzie Lake home
CFD members at a home in the 300 block of Mt. Douglas Ct. S.E. during a Feb. 24, 2020 fire response
CALGARY -- A southeast Calgary home caught fire Monday, forcing two people to escape the building with their pet fish.
The fire department responded to a call just before 8 p.m.following reports of a stubborn fire causing a lot of black smoke and low flame burning at 323 Mount Douglas Court in southeast Calgary.
Two people were home in the basement, smelled smoke and were able to get out unharmed, along with their pet fish.
It's believed the fire started as a result of the boiler/floor heating system in the house. Initial investigation suggests there was a leak in the system, which sparked the fire.
The fire department says the house is not livable. The fire department stayed on scene overnight to ensure there were no flare ups.
The home belonged to a recent University of Calgary graduate and her four-year-old son, who have started a GoFundMe page to help replace their belongings, which were destroyed in the fire.