CTV News Calgary Latest Videos
High wind warnings issued for Calgary and parts of southern Alberta
Published Friday, January 4, 2019 8:04AM MST
Last Updated Friday, January 4, 2019 6:29PM MST
Winds gusts up to 120 km/h are expected in the southern parts of the province on Friday and a number of warnings have been issued by Environment Canada.
Wind warnings have been issued for:
- Airdrie - Cochrane - Olds - Sundre
- Brooks - Strathmore - Vulcan
- Cardston - Fort Macleod - Magrath
- City of Calgary
- Crowsnest Pass - Pincher Creek - Waterton Lakes Nat. Park
- Cypress Hills Provincial Park - Foremost
- Kananaskis - Canmore
- Lethbridge - Taber - Milk River
- Medicine Hat - Bow Island - Suffield
- Okotoks - High River - Claresholm
The weather agency says heavy wind will move through the Calgary area in the late morning and early afternoon and gusts could reach 90 km/h.
Wind gusts in the southwestern foothills are expected to be the strongest and could be up to 120 km/h in some areas.
The winds could cause damage to property and power outages. Drivers are also being advised to be aware of changing road conditions due to the high winds.
The weather system is expected to weaken as the day progresses and should diminish by early evening.
WEATHER AND POWER OUTAGE RESOURCES
For updated information regarding weather warnings and watches, visit Environment Canada – Public Weather Alerts.
Download the CTV Calgary Sky Watch Weather App for real-time weather forecasts and video updates on conditions HERE.