Homeowners safely escape 2-alarm fire in Beddington Heights
CALGARY -- An open flame used to thaw frozen pipes sparked a house fire in northwest Calgary on Tuesday.
The Calgary Fire Department was called to the scene of a home in the 100 block of Bermondsey Way N.W. at about 11 a.m.
The fire, which the 911 caller said started in the basement, was quickly brought under control.
The two people who live there managed to get out safely and a man was assessed at the scene by EMS for smoke inhalation.
Officials say the damage to the basement is extensive and the fire burned through the floor, creating structural concerns. No other homes were damaged.
A fire investigator found the fire was accidentally set when the open flames to thaw frozen pipes caused nearby combustables to catch fire.