A former Calgary Stampeder was in court on Thursday morning to answer to charges of assault and break and enter.

Joffrey Reynolds is accused of assaulting his ex-girlfriend inside her apartment last July.

On July 14, 2012, police responded to an apartment in Eau Claire at 4:00 a.m. where a woman reported that a man had broken into her apartment and assaulted her.

The woman was able to escape the apartment and call police.

When police got there, they found the man was still there.

Reynolds, was charged with one count each of break and enter and assault causing bodily harm.

He pleaded not guilty to the charges through his lawyer in court last fall.

On Thursday, court heard from Reynold’s ex-girlfiend, Kaitlin Ward, who told the court her version of what happened that night.

Ward told the court that she and Reynolds dated for six years and lived together for nearly four years.

She says they broke up and she moved out but began talking again a few months later.

Then in July 2012, Ward says she went to a bar with Reynolds and some friends where they got into a confrontation. She says Reynolds had been staying at her home for the past couple of days and she told him he was no longer welcome.

She says she told her doorman not to allow Reynolds into her apartment and that she took a call from the doorman when Reynolds showed up later asking to come up.

Ward says she was at a friend’s house at the time but when she returned home later, Reynolds was inside.

She says she asked him to leave and says that's when things turned violent. She testified that Reynolds tackled her and a confrontation ensued.

She says she eventually told him he could stay to try and calm him down.

Ward says that the next morning she told Reynolds she was going out and went to a friend’s house where she called police.

The officer who responded to the call, Constable Keeley Grier, testified that Ward had a large purple area on the right side of her neck and the beginning of bruises on the left side.

She referred to pictures that were introduced as evidence and said that it was clear Ward's face was swollen and that in her experience the marks were consistent with fingers grabbing the skin.

The defence is suggesting that Ward was upset about Reynolds infidelity and that she came home that night and started the fight.

The prosecution wrapped its case on Thursday and the defence will begin presenting its case on Friday.