Articles by Mark Villani
- Bring on the nostalgia: Zellers celebrates grand re-opening in Calgary
- National Impaired Driving Prevention Week reminds Calgarians to make responsible choices
- RBC Training Ground seeks out Calgary’s future Olympic athletes
- Irish Calgarians celebrate their heritage on St. Patrick’s Day 2023
- Calgary Transit union, passengers speak out amid ongoing CTrain safety concerns
- 'It’s a war zone': Drop-In Centre clients complain of human rights violations amid calls for facility improvements
- Credit card debt stacking up for Albertans amid high inflation, increasing interest rates
- Southern Alberta scouts groups learn critical emergency skills at winter training camp
- 'Sellers are in the driver seat': Calgary housing inventory sinks to 2006 levels, sales almost halved: Alberta board
- Alberta NDP takes jabs at upcoming provincial budget promises
Mark Villani joined the CTV Calgary team in January 2018 as a morning reporter for CTV Morning Live and CTV News at Noon.
Since moving back to his hometown, Mark has specialized in reporting breaking news to Calgarians as they wake up each day. He’s the first on scene and the first to give you the facts you need to know.
Calgary-based Mark has reported on Alberta politics providing in-depth coverage of the 2019 provincial election and continues to extensively report on the Trans Mountain Pipeline as a western correspondent for CTV News Channel and Business News Network.
Mark has experience covering high profile court cases including the Edward Downey Trial and the death of former Calgary Stampeder Mylan Hicks. He’s a regular at city hall, having provided thorough coverage of Calgary’s 2018 Olympic plebiscite, the debate on fluoride in drinking water and Calgary’s property tax crisis for local businesses.
In addition to his passion for news, Mark loves sports and can regularly be found on many of Calgary’s running paths training for his next big marathon. In 2018, he put his body to the test and uncovered how far the human body could be pushed in his feature CTV documentary, “Beyond The Wall.”
Born in Edmonton and raised in Calgary, he started his career at the age of 17 as a freelance journalist with the Calgary Sun. He then moved on to working as an overnight anchor/ reporter with CFFR 660 News while attending journalism school.
Mark holds a Bachelor of Communications Studies degree with honours from the University of Calgary and earned a diploma in the Broadcast News Program at SAIT. During his time at SAIT, Mark received the Governor General Academic Bronze medal for the highest average among students in the school.
Upon graduation in April 2016, Mark began working full time as a video journalist at CKPG News in Prince George, BC. He then joined CTV Saskatoon in February 2017 working as a reporter/anchor before making the move back to his home town.
In his spare time, he enjoys volunteering, and loves spending time with family and friends. Mark is an avid fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs and the New York Jets in what can only be described as a love/hate relationship. Mark speaks English and recently started learning French.