CTV News Calgary Latest Videos
Senior Reporter & Host of CTV Calgary's Inspired
Darrel’s broadcasting career began at CFAM Radio in Altona, Manitoba, in 1962. He did both radio and television in Moose Jaw, Saskatoon and Montreal from 1963 to 1972
In 1972 he joined CFPL-TV in London, Ontario and a year later accepted an offer to join CFCN-TV as its senior news anchor.
From 1973 to 1987 Darrel anchored the CFCN-TV 6:00 and 11:30 P.M. local newscasts.
From 1987 to 2010 he co-anchored the 6:00 P.M. news, first with Michelle Hogan for two years and then with Barb Higgins for twenty-one years.
Darrel had trained as a teacher at Saskatchewan Teachers College and put that training to good use as a Broadcast Journalism instructor at SAIT for eleven years and Mount Royal College for fifteen years. He has worked with dozens of his former students over the years and is proud of their achievements.
From 2010 to 2013 he co-anchored the weekend 6:00 P.M. news and began doing a weekly feature entitled “Inspired”.
On December 29th, 2013 he anchored his final newscast but continues to enjoy the Inspired feature.
Darrel Janz's Awards and Honours:
- CanPro Gold Award for the documentary From A Child’s Hand 1995
- Numerous team awards from the Radio Television News Directors Association
- Honorary Bachelor of Communications – Journalism Degree from Mount Royal College 2003
- Volunteer Calgary Heart of Calgary Award 2004
- RTNDA Lifetime Achievement Award 2006
- Honorary Bachelor of Applied Technology Degree from SAIT Polyrtechnic 2009
- Western Association of Broadcasters Hall of Fame Award 2013
- City of Calgary Award for Community Activism 2013
Darrel Janz's Career Highlights:
- Coverage of Quebec’s October Crisis of 1970
- Coverage of Calgary’s 1981 bid to host the 1988 Olympic Winter Games, the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, the 1988 Calgary Olympics, several federal and provincial political leadership conventions and dozens of elections
- Darrel’s most memorable assignment was travelling with shoe boxes from Calgary children to kids in the war ravaged countries of Bosnia and Croatia in 1995
Watch LIVE on Calgary.CTVNews.ca
ATCO Blue Flame Kitchen