Calgary police have charged two people with second-degree murder in connection to the stabbing death of another man at a northwest home over the weekend.

Officers were called out to a home in the 5000 block of Brisbois Dr. N.W. at about 3:00 a.m. on Saturday, January 12, and found two men in medical distress.

Both were taken to hospital in life-threatening condition, suffering from stab wounds. One man succumbed to his injuries and the second remains in serious condition in hospital.

The deceased male has been identified by his family as 21-year-old Brett Wiese.

Police arrested a 17-year-old late Saturday and laid a charge of second-degree murder.

Mitchell William Harkes, 19, was arrested by police on Sunday and charged with second-degree murder, aggravated assault, and four breaches of various court orders.

Brett Wiese was a student at the University of Calgary and his mother says he had his whole life ahead of him.

“He was a bright boy, honour roll. It’s terrible, he was an innocent boy,” said Brenda Wiese.

Calgary police say there was a party at the home and that it was advertised on social media which may have alerted unwanted guests to crash the event.

"We have five individuals who did show up who weren't invited and they were asked to leave the party. They did so. We believe that the motive, it's a targeted attack in the sense that a number of individuals returned to the party in response to the earlier incident," said CPS S/Sgt Doug Andrus. "Nine individuals returned to the party in two vehicles and at least four people went inside the residence, the rest stayed outside."

Police say one of the accused, Mitchell Harkes, showed up at the party in response to the earlier incident and that he is known to them.

Investigators say there was no indication that the party was out of control and that 60 to 100 people were in attendance throughout the night.

Police say that they do not anticipate laying any further charges.

"Knives were used in the stabbing and we believe we have recovered the weapons," said S/Sgt Andrus.

Wiese's death is the third homicide of 2013.