CTV News Calgary Latest Videos
Sled Island Music Fest announces lineup
Sled Island logo (courtesy: Sled Island)
Published Tuesday, February 9, 2016 1:19PM MST
The Sled Island Music & Arts Festival announced its first group of artists for the event which runs from June 22 to 26, 2016.
The festival is in its 10th year and will bring music, comedy, film and art to more than 35 venues throughout Calgary. More than 250 bands will perform at the festival.
Legendary lo-fi indie rock band Guided by Voices have announced a reunion that will include a stop at the festival. The band will headline Sled Island's main outdoor show at Calgary's Olympic Plaza on June 25, 2016 in what is their only date announced thus far.
They'll be joined by indie rock icons Built to Spill, krautrock-inspired experimenters Suuns, and additional artists to be announced.
Also appearing at the festival is:
- Black metal band Deafheaven
- 1960s garage-rock pioneers The Sonics
- Indie-folk songwriter Angel Olsen
- Pop experimentalist Julia Holter
- Industrial dance group Health
- Genre-defying instrumentalists Tortoise,
- Post-punk band Protomartyr
- Psych adventurers Psychic TV
- Jazz trailblazers Dawn of Midi
- Gunk punk legends New Bomb Turks
- Garage-punk rockers Radioactivity
- Montreal electro-rock favorites Duchess Says.
Sled Island also announced that the guest curator of the festival would be musician-producer-filmmaker-performance artist Peaches.
Tickets to Sled Island go on sale on Friday, February 12, 2016 at sledisland.com.