One of the adults injured in a basement suite fire has died.

CTV News has learned that 19-year-old Johnathon St. Pierre died from his injuries Monday evening.

Early Monday morning, a basement suite in the 500 block of 33 Street N.W. caught on fire after a space heater was located too close to combustible material.

Sources tell CTV News there were security bars on some of the windows, they were screwed to the frames and in one of the bedrooms the bars were bent from the inside.

Investigators found only one smoke detector in the basement and say there is no evidence it contained a battery.

Firefighters rescued four people from the apartment. All were unconscious when they were pulled from the suite.

A friend of the victims told CTV News that 19-year-old Johnathon St. Pierre and 19-year-old Tiffany Cox lived in the suite. He says the couple had just broken up. One of the other victims was a new roommate in the process of moving in.