Deep Dish Apple Pie
- 5 large Granny Smith apples
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ tbsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp lemon zest, chopped
- 3 tbsp tapioca
- Pinch cinnamon powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1½ tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 10-inch unbaked pie crust
- Peel and core the apples and slice them thin. Toss with brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest and tapioca. Do not over mix. Cover and refrigerate a few hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Make a crumble by mixing cinnamon, brown sugar and butter for 4 minutes in a blender at slow speed, then add flour and oats. Mix gently until well incorporated but not over mixed. Set aside.
- Butter a 7x4 inch round baking pan or ring mould. Lay the pie crust in it and press gently on the bottom and up the sides to form the deep dish pie. Place on a baking pan to catch and spills. Pour the refrigerated apple pie mixture into the pie mould. Sprinkle the crumble on top and press it down gently.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until the filling is set and the crust has browned. A knife inserted on the side of pan will come out almost clean.
- Place the baked pie on a wire rack to cool. Unmould and serve with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.