Skip to main content

Northwest apartment building evacuated due to carbon monoxide concerns

Aerial view of fire crews responding to a carbon monoxide alarm Wednesday morning at an apartment building in Citadel. Aerial view of fire crews responding to a carbon monoxide alarm Wednesday morning at an apartment building in Citadel.
Share

Dozens of people were evacuated from an apartment building in the northwest neighbourhood of Citadel Wednesday morning due to a carbon monoxide scare.

Calgary Fire Department officials confirm crews responded to the building in the 2000 block of Citadel Meadows Point N.W. at around 7:45 a.m. after a third-floor alarm was activated.

Carbon monoxide readings of 500 parts per million were detected and approximately 50 residents had to leave the building.

No serious injuries were reported but several people were treated for headaches and other mild symptoms of CO poisoning.

Investigators suspect the dangerous buildup of gas was the result of a fresh air intake being left covered after recent construction work.

CTVNews.ca Top Stories

Ukraine will stop Putin, Biden tells NATO in forceful speech

Joe Biden forcefully defended the foreign policy achievements of his presidency as he welcomed NATO member states to a Washington summit on Tuesday that is being closely watched by allies at home and abroad for proof the embattled U.S. president can still lead.

Gypsy Rose Blanchard is pregnant

Gypsy Rose Blanchard, who served eight and a half years for helping to kill her abusive mother, announced Tuesday that she is set to become a mother herself.

Stay Connected