CTV News Calgary Latest Videos
Chemical fire breaks out at U of C
Michael Franklin, CTV Calgary
Published Thursday, August 8, 2013 5:06AM MDT
Last Updated Thursday, August 8, 2013 8:23AM MDT
A student was caught in a dangerous situation while he was working alone at the University of Calgary early Thursday morning.
The man was working with tolulene, a solvent used as a industrial feedstock.
During the course of his work, some of the chemical leaked onto a heating element and caught fire.
By the time that fire crews arrived, the fire had burned itself out but there was still a large volume of smoke.
Crews had to set up fans to air out the building and are currently monitoring air quality.
The student was treated on scene by EMS and was released.
Inhaling tolulene can be potentially dangerous and can cause neurological damage.