Dog saves family from house fire
Published Wednesday, September 4, 2013 5:05AM MDT Last Updated Wednesday, September 4, 2013 5:07AM MDT
The family in this Chaparral home were alerted to a fire last night by the family dog who made a lot of noise and woke the inhabitants.
Smoke alarms are proven to save lives in the event of a fire, but one Calgary family was alerted to a blaze on Tuesday night by their dog.
Clarissa Turniga, who lives in the 400 block of Chaparral Ridge Drive S.E., says she was in her room when her small dog ran into the room and began barking.
She got up and checked what the problem was and eventually came across a fire in her garage.
Turniga then ran to the basement to get her sister out safely and call the fire department.
Fire crews say that they were then able to contain the fire to the garage and credit neighbours who doused the flames with garden hoses to keep them from spreading.
There is no word yet on the cause.