Police are trying to piece together the events leading up to the discovery of a woman's body in a vehicle parked along a major road in the city’s northeast.

According to Duty Inspector Paul Stacey, officers received a call at approximately 9:20 p.m. Thursday informing them that a man had killed a woman and was travelling across the city with the body.

Police say the call came from a mutual friend of the suspect and the deceased.

At 9:40 p.m., police received a second call saying the same man had assaulted a woman in her home in the 0-100 block of Bedford Dr. N.E.  The woman did not require medical treatment and the suspect fled the scene. 

Police confirm that the woman that was assaulted is the mother of the deceased.

Police responded to a third and final call from a passerby who witnessed the suspect attempting to hang himself from a bridge above the CPR train tracks along Country Hills Blvd. N.E. at around 10:00 p.m. 

Officers located the man dangling from the bridge and successfully rescued him.

The suspect was transported to hospital for treatment where he remains in police custody.

Lacey Jones-Mcknight, 20, was found dead inside a car belonging to her ex-fiance, identified by friends as 28-year-old Kristopher "Tray" Guenther.

Friends say the couple had a tumultuous relationship.

"The investigation is in the early stages, literally just hours into the investigation. This does appear to be a domestic incident and not random," said CPS Inspector, Cliff O'Brien.

Police say the suspect is known to them.

"The parties involved in this incident did come onto our radar in August of this year for a variety of things, not just domestics, for a variety of things," said O'Brien.

Police are treating Jones-Mcknight's death as suspicious and the Homicide Unit is investigating.

There is no word yet on charges but police say they do not have to wait for the suspect to be released from hospital.

"If he’s released we can certainly take him back into our custody outside of the hospital or we can look at having him charged in the hospital in his hospital bed, we’ve done that before," said O'Brien.

Police say the man is the only suspect they are currently looking at.

The cause of Jones-Mcknight's death has not been released.