The Government of Alberta has announced a new program for Albertans affected by flooding to give them the option of moving out of at-risk areas.

Under the new plan, homeowners are eligible for 100 percent of the value listed on their last municipal property tax assessment to help them relocate.

“We simply cannot encourage development in floodways. It is just too dangerous and represents an ongoing risk to all taxpayers,” said Doug Griffiths, Minister of Municipal Affairs in a release. “We want to give homeowners the choice to relocate to safer areas.”

The government says that there are about 250 homes in six communities that may qualify for this compensation and, if they decide to stay, they still qualify for support from the Disaster Recovery Program to repair or rebuild.

The homes are broken down in the following areas:


Estimated lots fully or partly in the floodway*

High River




Medicine Hat


Bragg Creek


Black Diamond and Turner Valley




The province stresses that they are estimates only and further investigation will be done as applications are reviewed.

“Relocating homes out of floodways is a better long-term solution for all of us,” said Minister Griffiths. “We understand that the decision to relocate your family away from a community where you have put down roots is a difficult one — and we will be here to support you and provide you with the information to make the best decision for your family.”

Homeowners will have until November 30 to apply for the one-time funding.

It also only applies to primary residences.

Applicants who are currently challenging their property tax assessments have until 30 days after their assessment is finalized.

The Government of Alberta will be responsible for all remediation and demolition of properties purchased through this policy. No further building on these sites will be approved.

Residents can apply for the compensation through several different means:

  • Fill out the Disaster Recovery Program application form.
  • The form is available online at or you can have it mailed to you by calling 1-888-671-1111. Some municipal offices also have the forms available.
  • In High River, a Disaster Recovery Program office is open weekdays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and is located at: Charles Clark Medicial Centre, 303 – Ninth Avenue S.W.
  • In Calgary, a Disaster Recovery Program office is open weekdays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and is located at: Willowglen Business Park, 803 Manning Road N.E.
  • Along with the form, submit required documents including government I.D. with photo, and a property tax assessment.
  • Documents can be mailed to: Disaster Recovery Program, 14515 – 122 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5L 2W4, Or faxed to 1-780-427-1262
  • If you have already applied to the Disaster Recovery Program, call 1-888-671-1111 to have your application updated to specify that you live in a floodway and want relocation compensation.

After you apply, you will be contacted to meet with a Disaster Recovery Program evaluator to determine next steps.

More information can be found on the Government of Alberta’s website.