Red Deer death linked to PMMA
RCMP in Red Deer say preliminary toxicology testing on samples from a man who died of a drug overdose in December show that PMMA was the dominant drug.
The final toxicology results are not in but Police in Red Deer are releasing the information now because of several other deaths in the province that have been linked to PMMA.
The 38-year-old man was taken to Red Deer Regional Hospital after consuming what was believed to be Ecstasy on December 10, 2011.
The man died in hospital and RCMP was notified.
The preliminary toxicology results were provided to police on January 30, 2012 from the Medical Examiner's office.
Police are reminding the public of the danger of PMMA (paramethoxymethamphetamine) and say that combining PMMA with other drugs, alcohol or caffeine can increase the risk of overdose.
Symptoms of overdose include:
- Difficulty breathing
- Muscle spasms
- Increased blood pressure
- Increased body temperature.
Calgary police say that there have been nine Ecstasy related deaths in Calgary since June 2011.