Residents of a newly built southwest condo building were forced out of their homes when a fire broke out early Monday morning.

Fire crews were called to the building in the 2400 block of 1 Street S.W. around 4:30 a.m.

Crews were able to keep the fire contained to one show suite of the complex.

Only two to the ten suites were occupied and those residents took shelter in Calgary Transit buses while firefighters battled the blaze.

One man was found inside the show suite where the fire broke out.

Police have taken him into custody for questioning.

The arson unit has been called in to investigate.