A 53-year-old Calgary man was killed in a confrontation with police at a home in the Huntington Hills area on Sunday night and ASIRT has been called in to investigate.

Police were called to a home in the 1000 block of 78 Avenue N.W. at about 4:40 p.m. for reports of numerous shots being fired indiscriminately from inside a home.

"The 911 dispatch reported a call from a Calgary Transit bus driver that a shot hit the bus and narrowly missed the driver," said CPS Chief Roger Chaffin on Monday. "It's believed that five passengers were in that bus, but no one was injured."

Police quickly blocked off the area surrounding the home and warned residents near the scene to stay inside.

A standoff between a man in the home and police ensued and just after 6:00 p.m. the man exited the rear of the home armed with a handgun and engaged officers.

"Several attempts were made to resolve the situation peacefully, however the suspect exited the residence and the situation escalated, resulting in the discharge of a service firearm resulting in killing the suspect."

The 53-year-old man was shot by police and was declared dead at the scene.

A handgun was recovered and police say there was no one else in the residence at the time of the incident.

Calgary Police Chief Roger Chaffin says officers had been called to the home on a previous occasion, but the call was not of a criminal nature.

"Our experience with the shooter in this case had largely been of a non-criminal nature. We didn't have any particular experience with him of this level of violence," he said. "This wasn't related to the gang violence in the city; this was unique to this particular person."

None of the officers were hurt in the incident and they are recieving support.

"We had a full complement, that is a Tactical Team and regular district officers, at the scene. Any of the officers that witnessed or were involved have been looked after and cared for. They will have peer support as well as our Psychological Services branch attending to the officers and making sure they have the support they need."

Residents in the area say they’re glad the ordeal is over and no one else was hurt.

“I was just glad they weren’t beside me and I had a basement, keeping my wife and baby safe. I was worried for the police officers; they have a tough job and have to deal with weapons around the city all the time,” said Kevin Brennan, who lives near the home at the centre of the investigation.

The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team has been called to investigate the incident and an autopsy on the suspect is scheduled for Tuesday.