Carbon monoxide detectors not required in all schools
Published Tuesday, May 5, 2009 4:19PM MDT
The Calgary Board of Education is considering installing carbon monoxide detectors in all schools.
The CBE is rethinking its policy after a scare last week at a northwest school.
On Friday, nearly 100 students and staff were evacuated from Louise Dean School after the school's caretaker noticed a strong smell of gas.
Firefighters arrived on the scene, tested the air quality and confirmed there was a high level of carbon monoxide.
The school did not have a carbon monoxide detector.
New provincial legislation does require carbon monoxide detectors to be installed in new homes but there is no legislation dealing with schools.
"We obviously would like to see every business or any kind of residential home or schools to be as safe as possible," says Jeff Budai, a spokesperson for the Calgary Fire Department.
Currently the only Calgary schools with carbon monoxide detectors are those with automotive shops.