Nursing statue unveiled
A nun and a nurse are now permanent residents in Calgary's Mission area.
A commemorative statue of a nun wearing a traditional habit and a nurse in a 1950's
graduation uniform was unveiled today in front of the Holy Cross Centre.
In 1891, four Sister of Charity nuns established the Holy Cross Hospital with just $73.75.
The school of nursing was established sixteen years later in 1907.
According to Barbara Nesselback, a graduate of the class of 1960, the statue is a nod to Sister of Charity nuns contribution to Calgary's history.
The bronze statue has been named ‘Nuns and Nightingales'.