Calgary police travel east to entice recruits
Calgary police car
Published Monday, February 11, 2013 12:23PM MST
Last Updated Monday, February 11, 2013 12:25PM MST
Calgary police are looking for a few more good men and women and are holding a recruiting drive in Prince Edward Island at the end of the month.
Members of the CPS Recruiting Unit will be at the Atlantic Police Academy at 66 Argus Street, Slemon Park, PE., from February 23 to 25, 2013.
People interested in joining Calgary’s police force can attend general information sessions and potential applicants can also book a private session with a CPS recruiter to ask questions and get more information.
The sessions will also offer people the chance to take the Alberta Communication Test and Alberta Police Cognitive Ability Test.
Normally, potential recruits must officially apply to take these tests but those who attend the recruiting drive will be able to take the tests prior to applying.
Police will also set up a workshop to teach potential applicants the proper interview techniques that are used during the application process.
“We know that people don’t always want to jump into the recruit application process right away,” says Acting Staff Sgt. Jennifer Lessard of the CPS Recruiting Unit. “This recruiting drive gives people the opportunity to get more information and even take the written tests before deciding whether they want to apply.”
The Calgary Police Service offers its members:
- A constable salary of over $59,000 begins on day one of the 27-week training period.
- Ongoing education and development opportunities, including funding for approved post-secondary studies.
- Comprehensive health and wellness programs, such as fitness facilities in most CPS buildings and medical clinic for members and their families.
- With over 100 specialty areas, opportunities for growth are unlimited.
- Pension eligibility after 25 years.
Recruiters are asking those who are planning to attend the sessions to pre-register by Wednesday, February 20, 2013, by calling 1-866-277-4473 or Cst. Liana Deegan at 403-428-8784.
For more information, including the event schedule, visit the Calgary Police Service facebook page.