CTV News Calgary Latest Videos
Police charge five in organized crime related homicides
Colleen Schmidt, CTV Calgary
Published Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:19PM MDT
Last Updated Friday, July 19, 2013 6:45AM MDT
Calgary police have charged five people in connection with six murders after an intensive five-year investigation.
Police say the men are all known to them and are alleged to be involved in a two organized crime groups whose members have committed multiple murders and violent incidents since 2000.
The operation, dubbed Desino by investigators, focused on three separate homicides starting in 2008.
The investigation got underway in January of 2012 and involves three cases as follows:
On August 9, 2008, Kevin Steven Anaya, 21, was walking up to a home in the 100 block of Marcombe Dr. N.E. at about 6 p.m., when he was shot by someone in a passing vehicle.
Police say the suspects then got out of the vehicle, walked up to Anaya and continued to shoot at him.
Anaya died at the scene and police say he was targeted along with another man who was not injured.
Charged in Case # 1 are:
- Nicholas Cypui Chan, 35, is charged with first-degree murder, conspiracy to commit murder, and instructing a criminal organization.
- Timothy Matthew Chan, 32, is charged with first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder. Police say Timothy Chan remains at large and his whereabouts are unknown.
- Nathan Lawrence Zuccerato, 26, is charged with first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder.
- Dustin Duke Darby, 30, is charged with first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder.
Tina Kong and Kevin Ses were sitting with two friends at the Food Inn East restaurant in the 4100 block of Marlborough Drive N.E. at about 3:50 a.m., on Sunday, October 26, 2008. Two gunmen burst in and started shooting.
Police say Kong and Ses were killed in the shooting and their companions were severely injured. It is believed that Ses was an associate of a gang member.
Charged in Case # 2 are:
- Nathan Lawrence Zuccerato, 26, is charged with two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder.
- Van Thoai Luc, 25, is charged with two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder.
On Thursday, January 1, 2009, three men were killed at the Bolsa Restaurant in the 100 block of 94 Avenue S.E. Two of the men at the table, Sanjeev Mann and Aaron Bendle were shot and killed and innocent bystander Ken’i Su’a was gunned down outside.
Charged in Case #3 are:
- Nicholas Cypui Chan, 35, is charged with first-degree murder.
- Dustin Duke Darby, 30, is charged with first-degree murder, accessory after the fact, and participation in a criminal organization.
Four people have already been charged in connection with the Bolsa murders; two are awaiting retrial, one is appealing and the other is currently serving a sentence in connection with this crime.